Taxonomy tagging simplified
Assigning taxonomies is an easy three step process which can be applied to multiple observations at once, using common or scientific names.
The full taxonomy is automatically assigned including family, order, genus, species, and common name.
- Select images to tag.
- Search for the desired taxonomy within the search bar using quick partial word searches for common or scientific name.
- Select taxonomy to assign to images.
Four letter bird codes can also be used. Once set, taxonomies and other attributes can be copied and pasted to other observations as well.
Review Mode guides you through untagged images to painlessly assign taxonomies and attributes.
- Assign Taxonomies
- Single-click attributes can be sorted and prioritized to meet your needs
- Mark images with Unknown for unknown or uncertain ID's for later retrieval
- User defined attributes to match your interests
- Quality and value ratings for your best and your most important pictures
- Searchable image description and remark text fields
- Use user-defined categories or tag images as Not A Bird
You've just imported a large set of images and you want to cull down the set to a manageable level by removing all the undesired or redundant pictures. Whimbrel BIRD makes that process easy with Cull Mode. Within Cull Mode, you can:
- View all images that have not yet been processed or tagged
- Zoom to pixel-to-pixel view and pan the images within the thumbnails to compare image quality
- Cull images that you want to delete and remove the ones you have considered to make comparing the remainder easier
- Trim down large sets of data quickly
All culled images are sent to the trashcan, where they can later be removed or restored.
Geolocation is an essential element in keeping track of your observations as a birder. Because of this, we made geolocation tagging a core feature of Whimbrel BIRD. Using OpenStreetMap© data, Whimbrel BIRD provides a map in which you can zoom, pan, and search to geotag your images.
Once located on the map the database automatically stores all relevant geocoded data associated with the location including Country, State, County, and City, along with Landmarks and other points of interest, including Parks and Refuges. You can later search and find your images by any or all of these elements.
This map also provides functionality such as:
- Search for a specific location
- Pan and Zoom
- Image locations can be displayed on the map.
- Automatically set picture location upon import by selecting a map point, by searching for specified locations, or automatically using EXIF data from GPS enabled cameras.
Creating albums is as easy as click, drag, and drop.
Key features to albums:
- Export all images in albums as a set
- Sort images in albums in any order
- Seamless and in-app
With Whimbrel you can filter and search for images:
- Using any attributes including user-defined attributes
- By Taxonomy, at any level - Find all of a given Family, Order, Genus,or Species
- By location and by capture date and time
- By Quality and Value rating
- Filter for multiple sets of taxonomies and various attributes